Monday, August 08, 2005

This Happened to Me

Sam Tyson

I was playing Jeff Toreki recently in a RB playtest scenario. I repaired a Russian 45LL gun in rally phase, and told the crew to shoot well because they would die soon. There were two PzIIIs 4 or 5 hexes away, sitting behind some dispersed smoke. I targeted the farthest tank, and rolled for APCR (4 in 1942), but did not have any. I then hit the tank with a regular AP round, but bounced my 11 TK off of his 6 AF. I contemplated the dire straights ahead for this crew, mulling over options of trying for DI on one of those tanks, or pivoting in the rubble to fire at a motion-hull down-OT-133 FT tank 2 hexes away, with circled-8 turret armor. Both of those options were dismal (DI final TH 3, needing hull loc) or (pivoting net TH 2), so I proceeded to resume firing AP on the original PzIII.

I drop the dice in the cup, and soon see a pair of snake-eyes staring back at me. I sheepishly grin, and look over at Jeff, whose eyes are rolling back in his head. The CH TK is low enough to burn. With ROF, I fire on the other PzIII, needing an 8 to hit and a 3 or 5 to kill. Once again, I drop the dice into the cup. This time the snake-eyes are burning a hole into Jeff's skull, as the CH TK DR burns the second PzIII as well.

The story ends with a gun pivot to get off a shot at the FT behemoth, but this time I don't get the CH, and bounce a shot off the wall. The IF shot danced by, and snake-eyes appeared at the end, but one die made a final clink in the cup as it rolled from a 1 to a 2. That was enough to make us both laugh, me hysterically, and Jeff with huge relief. The TK shot bounced off the turret, and soon Jeff avenged his panzer crews.

No comments: