Monday, January 17, 2011

Initial Thoughts on the Map Pack

Brian Roundhill


Just got my Starter Kit style map bundle in the mail, and I already have several thoughts. Let's take a trip.

I do like the crisper art for the buildings. Not sure about some of the shading of the buildings, but it is not bad. Board 1 just pops at me.

Ooo, 3-d looking shellholes. Real nice.

Board 5 feels sterile. I think I prefer the old style woods. Board 7 is completely different - water and marsh have new graphics. It is going to take some time to adjust to it, but I think I like the new marsh. Not sure yet about the water.

Yowza, graveyards are very different. A little too busy for my taste, but very distinctive. And the rogue boards match the rest of the boards. Board 13 especially is much easier to look at.

Desert boards - hammada and scrub are now recognizably separate. Cha-ching!

And those are my thoughts. I think MMP has done a great job of bringing the maps into the new times, and it will be fun to play some of those old favorites with a new look.

-- Brian Roundhill

3 comments:

blob said...

Nice. I had been buying the newer modules as they came out with the SK-style boards, because I'm "new" to the game. But then I bought someone's old ASL collection. Which was great, because now I have pretty much everything, but the downside is that I do think the newer, MMP components are hands-down nicer and have fewer errata.

Now I want to get the map pack!

Scrabble Online Against Computer said...

I'm very new to this game but I do plan on buying the map pack that you mentioned. It seems like it would definitely improve things!

linda said...

Thanks for sharing this beneficial information
games for kids free
games for girls