Wednesday, August 15, 2012

LFT 178: Niederburg Farmhouse

Eric and I played Niederburg Farmhouse a few weeks ago, and the Americans (Eric) won in our match.

I did a deployment, multi-hex attack, but the ROF on the MGs and my bad MC rolling did me in. I advanced my 9-2 led MG kill stack into J10, but Eric's prep fire ruined my DFF surprise.

After thinking it over, I think the German MG nest needs to position itself in H9, and the blue wave needs to come from hexrows J thru P. Two things factor into that thinking

  • the 5-4-8s can man the MGs and still be in normal range to I6.2
  • the Americans in I6.2 must choose a covered arc for either H9 or the hill and its approaches in hexrows J-P

With my MG nest in J10, Eric could shoot both it and anybody else on that half of the board in each fire phase.

It seems like a tough puzzle for the Germans, but with only a few units, any cracks in the American defense can be exploited. It's a great 2 hour scenario, and hopefully my thoughts will help an Axis player out there somewhere.

Sam

4 comments:

JohnFarris said...

Sam,
Great commentary at your blogspot on the Niederburg Farmhouse,LFT178. I suspect many players will play it like you did and I did and say "there must be a better way" or "man... this is unbalanced!" which I think it is not... unbalanced. It appears the LFT folks put out a nut cracker that if you don't think you loose-- the locked Covered Arc is an important aspect of the plan of attack.... smart!

Best regards,
John

Ian said...

That's a big deal forcing that American MG to choosewhat to fire at so rate can't have it all

Ian

Fred Ingram said...

Problem is, if the MG's keep ROF in the movement phase, they can change covered arc in the defensive fire phase and basically get a chance at both orientations

duck life 3 said...

it’s great post.i learn something new.i’ll try it my own.